Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today

Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today
Please be sure to write "John Hurley - Bike Trip" in the "How did you hear about us" section

Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 30 -- St. Joseph -- Rest Day

As I mentioned the other day, I, along with several members of the group, was interviewed by a reporter from the Topeka Capital-Journal. My lovely wife found the article online, and I thought it would be nice to share with you (plus, it's a rest day, so copy and paste is a much better option than writing something original). Enjoy!

X-Country Cyclists Stop In Topeka
Endurance bicyclist Larry Frederick has overcome mountains since being struck down by a drunken motorist more than a quarter of a century ago in California.

Crediting the blood of others and some of his own sweat and tears for his recovery, Frederick and his daughter, Adella, are pedaling across the country with a group of 25 others who stopped in Topeka on Saturday for a rest.

"Giving blood is the only gift that truly comes from your heart," Larry Frederick said during an "America by Bicycle" riders' meeting at the Holiday Inn West Holidome, 605 S.W. Fairlawn.

It was 105 units of blood that helped save the former police officer from death in 1982 when he was injured while on patrol in Oakland, Calif. Now, Frederick is making his fourth "Life Across America" trip to promote America's blood centers and the importance of donating blood.

Others in the group are riding for different charities or personal reasons, but by July 27, nearly all of them will have pedaled 3,847 miles in 52 days — from San Francisco to Portsmouth, N.H.

Cindy Stephens, of Valencia, Calif., has raised about $2,500 for AIDS Lifecycle, which aims to end AIDS. She said she decided to make the trip when she turned 50.

John Hurley, 27, of Boston, said he decided to ride after his father rode from Los Angeles to Boston in 1990.

"It's been a lifelong dream of mine to do the same," he said.

Hurley said he has raised nearly $28,000 in donations for the Lung Cancer Research Foundation through his ride. The most challenging obstacle, he said, is finding the mental strength to ride each day.

Carolyn Oros, who was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in the 1990s, is riding to raise money for Bike MS. She said she draws her mental strength from her battle with the illness before it went into remission.

"I ride because I still can," she said.

Don Fair, 64, of Baltimore, said he decided to ride for World Bicycle Relief, which provides bicycles to villages and schools in Africa.

"I had been to Africa with my daughter and saw how they used their bikes for everything," he said. "I got back and thought of how I could help and found this group."

While most of the riders will end their trip in July, the Fredericks will begin a second phase of their journey, which includes visiting at least 50 blood centers across the country.

"My life was saved by blood," Larry Frederick said. "If I wouldn't have made it that night — "

"I wouldn't have been born," Adella interrupted.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the props (in the newspaper)! Wish I was with you now. Can't wait to see you. Missouri = rolling hills. I remember them well. Pedal hard up "the rollies" and when you hit the top pedal hard downhill and you'll get a good jump on the next one. (For some reason that portion of the trip sticks indelibly in my mind.) I've searched high and low for my 1990 diary and cannot find it.

    Travel safe. Love ya! D

    ReplyDelete