Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today

Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today
Please be sure to write "John Hurley - Bike Trip" in the "How did you hear about us" section

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 53 -- Portsmouth to South Boston (MA) -- 78 Miles

I had a great opportunity to reflect on my coast-to-coast journey in my solo ride home today. I thought about the places I had been, the people I shared the experience with, and the reasons why I took on this journey that has already proven to be an unforgettable chapter in my life.

Although I took a few detours, and moved at a pretty slow pace today (the headwinds were formidable, and the legs felt a bit heavy), the miles seemed to disappear quickly because I was so lost in my thoughts. Before I knew it, I was approaching the "Welcome to South Boston" sign, and I was truly proud. Pedaling to my front door was even more exhilarating!

My plan is to write a final post in the coming days. I am not sure what it will say, or if I will be able to scribe a proper conclusion to this amazing journey. My hope is that a little more reflection before signing off once and for all will be beneficial. In the meantime, I want to thank you for following my blog as I pedaled across the United States. I have been overwhelmed by your support along the way, and the opportunity to share this experience with you has been such a treat.

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

  1. John- congratulations - you and your fellow bikers have completed a great feat and are to be commended. Whenever you're in Ohio, you have an open invitation.
    Take care,
    Ed Tkatch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing is so awesomely unfamiliar as the familiar that discloses itself at the end of a journey

    ~ Cynthia Ozick ~

    Well done is better than well said. You always SAID you were going to do it, but now you've DONE it, and done it with style and grace.

    God bless you and Mary. Love you guys! D

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    It was a true pleasure to get to know you this summer. You are not just another cyclist or just another basketball player. You are a warm and giving human being. I admire you even more for your charity than for your outstanding athletic abilities. All the best to you and Mary.

    Phil Young

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoroughly enjoyed this blog! Too bad it was almost a year later when I read it. Having done the Pedal for Power in 1990 and 1991 (2nd time as ride leader), I still get goosebumps when I talk about the experience. I felt myself reliving the ride as I read the blog & comments. I'll start looking at your pictures tomorrow, as I've lost a day reading this.

    Too bad this technology was not present in 1990. Your group will probably remain in contact better than ours because of things like this blog, myspace, facebook, etc.

    My 1990 Pedal for Power Across America remains my proudest and happiest accomplishment. Thank you for helping me experience it again!

    Bob
    robert bump 1034 roberta rd - scdy ny 12303-3792 518.356.0205 robertbump_AT_karnerdata(dot)com

    Jay: great comments!

    ReplyDelete