Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today

Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today
Please be sure to write "John Hurley - Bike Trip" in the "How did you hear about us" section

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 32 -- Chillicothe to Kirksville -- 84 Miles

Great challenge today! Our ride was very similar to yesterday's, except a bit more intense. The humidity was higher -- a whopping 95% -- and it made things nasty, muggy, and wet. The climbs were more challenging -- the rolling hills of Missouri are no joke. The downhills, as you would imagine, were fun, but making the ascent to the top was not quite as enjoyable. Doing it over and over (and over, and over) again made for an interesting day. Some members of our group informed me that some of the climbs were at a 14% grade. It got intense at times, but we survived! The scenic views helped.

One thing that weighed on my mind throughout the ride was that I was pedaling on the exact same roads that my father pedaled on 20 years ago. Actually, this has been the case since I arrived in Dodge City, Kansas, but since I have a picture to prove it I figured today was a good time to mention it.

Knowing that my father had been on these roads helped me a great deal today. Mostly, it made me pedal faster because in my mind -- my crazy, screwed up mind -- I could hear him talking trash about him doing this route better and faster (in a loving, friendly sort of way, of course) 20 years ago. Yes, I am weird -- I know.

Eventually, the country roads gave way to the city of Kirksville -- home of Truman State University, a place I pedaled around after grabbing a quick, post-ride lunch.

Our cycling group is saying goodbye to Missouri tomorrow, as we will be entering Illinois. Call me crazy, but for some reason Illinois sounds so much closer to home than Missouri does. Progress is a good thing!

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Great comparison shot, Johnny. I seem to be laboring a little harder (probably over-hydrated the previous evening!), based on the sweat factor.

    Travel safe. Love ya, D

    ReplyDelete