Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today

Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today
Please be sure to write "John Hurley - Bike Trip" in the "How did you hear about us" section

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 33 -- Kirksville to Quincy (IL) -- 97 Miles


Check Missouri off of the list, and bring on Illinois. In hindsight, I admit that Missouri was a formidable opponent. The rolling terrain continued until we reached the state line, which happened to be at the Mississippi River.

Upon reaching the Mississppi River, we had to take a ferry to officially enter Illinois. Yesterday, we were told that the ferry was not going to be shuttling back and forth due to high water levels and flooding. Instead, we were going to have to be shuttled in the SAG van over a bridge that does not allow bikers. Apparently, conditions changed overnight, and we went back to the original ferry plan.

Once we reached Illinois, I, along with the rest of the group, was thrilled to pedal along its flat roads. It was a nice treat after the roller coaster ride that we had been on for the past 3 days. Overall, it was an enjoyable day -- weather was cooperative, checked another state off the list, and ultimately made it closer to completion!

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. An HC buddy told me about your trip and I’ve been kind of following the blog. Anyway, crossing the Mississippi seemed like a good time to say this is pretty impressive and keep up the good work. Your aunts must be looking down on you with pride.

    A fellow Crusader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, yesterday, I went easy on you. However, now I realize you are spoiled. Twenty-years ago, when we got to the Mighty Mississippi, we strapped our bikes to our backs and SWAM across!

    Travel safe. Love ya, D

    ReplyDelete