Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today

Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today
Please be sure to write "John Hurley - Bike Trip" in the "How did you hear about us" section

Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 37 -- Crawfordsville to Indianapolis -- 63 Miles

Another great day today! I rode the first thirty miles as a member of the "Phil Young Wagon Train" -- an 11 person paceline led by Phil from Maryland. The conditions were reasonable, and Phil had the urge to pull us all the way into our first and only SAG stop, so I just kept a low profile and tucked into the line.

After hitting the SAG stop, it was time do some sightseeing. We were already on the outskirts of Indianapolis suburbs, so we had all day to see what the general area had to offer. Our first activity was at Roark Welding and Engineering. Ted, the owner of the shop, was kind enough to give us sweaty cyclists a tour of his shop.

Since the Roark company has several contracts with the military we were not allowed to take pictures for most of the tour. I was however, allowed to get a shot of the simple front entrance, and their custom titanium bicycle area of their shop. Quick aside: the titanium bikes that they fabricate are awesome -- I want one someday.

After the Roark tour, we pedaled onward to Indianapolis. We made our way through Eagle Creek Park, and ultimately ended up at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. After witnessing its incredible size (both the track and the stands), we got back in the saddle, and cruised over to the Major Taylor Velodrome. If you do not know anything about Major Taylor, I encourage you to read up on him, as his story is very fascinating.

After a couple of laps at the velodrome (the banked curves made things interesting. Honestly, it was not for me), I continued towards the hotel. Prior to making it "home" for the night, I managed to get some pictures at NCAA headquarters (as well as a shot of their hall of champions, and, as seen above, their mascot), Lucas Oil Stadium -- home of the Indianapolis Colts, and Union Station -- the former nexus of the city.

Again, today was a truly great day. It was the quintessential touring day, and there is nothing wrong with that! I suppose that's enough storytelling for today. In fact, I should probably get some sleep -- I want to get up early and throw eggs at Peyton Manning's billboard tomorrow.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Johnny: Having just been in Indy two-weeks ago, I observed the following...Walk around the side of the stadium where Dwight Freeney and Robert Sanders' billboards are posted.

    Head toward the interstate (parking lot will be on your left) and you will find a small neighborhood where the residents would not sell out to the Colts. It's a rundown old neighborhood, but it's proximity to the stadium is unique. Check it out. Have a good day off.

    PS: Don't forget St. Elmo's on S. Illinois!! They sell more shrimp cocktail than any restaurant in the COUNTRY. (Beware the horseradish!)

    Travel safe. Love ya, D

    ReplyDelete