Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today

Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today
Please be sure to write "John Hurley - Bike Trip" in the "How did you hear about us" section

Friday, July 16, 2010

Day 41 -- Marysville to Wooster -- 104 Miles

Another century completed. In fact, today marked the last "official" century of the tour. I am, however, still planning on stretching the next two rides (93 and 96 miles, respectively) into 100 mile days. I will undoubtedly regret the decision as I ride the extra 7 miles tomorrow (and 4 on Sunday), but I'll be glad I did it in the end... I hope!

Interesting ride today. I felt great for the first 96 miles -- the last 8 were awful. I rode with some of the stronger members of the group throughout the day, but apparently I spent a little too much time "playing with the big boys," as I was really feeling the burn as the day came to an end. Oh well -- I still really enjoyed the ride.

I think that I had become a bit spoiled by some of the flat terrain we have been blessed with on recent rides, and today served as a great wake up call. The last 40 miles were extremely challenging -- several rolling hills with grades as high as 15% at times. It was like being back in Missouri.

Once the ride ended, the fun did not stop. A dear family friend, Karen Foley (pictured with me above), came to check in on me at the hotel. Although I have made several friends on this cross country trip, it was refreshing to see another Southie native! Karen currently works in Ohio for part of the year, and was kind enough to drive down to pay me a visit.

All things considered, it was another great day. I am starting to hear rumbles of "light at the end of the tunnel," and "trip is really winding down." I cannot believe we only have 11 days left -- 10 riding, 1 rest. I just have to remember to take it all in, and enjoy it while it lasts.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Johnny,

    Must have been good to see a Southie face (is that the first person from Southie you've encountered?) after all those miles.

    Henry David Thoreau once said: Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.

    Travel safe. Love ya. D

    ReplyDelete