Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today

Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today
Please be sure to write "John Hurley - Bike Trip" in the "How did you hear about us" section

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 43 -- Youngstown to Erie (PA) -- 103 Miles

4 consecutive centuries -- check! Candidly, I am glad that the stretch of 100+ mile days are over. My body is feeling tired, and a rest day is exactly what I want and need. I was psyched to check into our Erie, PA, hotel knowing that I don't even have to look at my bike tomorrow if I so choose.

Regarding today's ride: except for a series nasty hills (13% grade) that we had to conquer at the very end of the ride, it was a reasonably challenging day. I spent most of the day riding in a paceline, and it helped a great deal. I did my fair share of pulling, and I also benefitted from the drafting I recieved when people in front of me were pulling -- It made the ride a lot more bearable.

The highlight of the ride was stopping at White Turkey Drive-In -- a place that served shakes, root beer floats, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. Something about it reminded me of Sully's, and, for a fleeting moment, I felt home.

Pennsylvania -- as I have said in the past about other states, it just sounds closer to home. I am sure that my father (pictured above, right) felt the same way when he arrived there on his bike 20 years ago!

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. I remember Erie well, John. We, too, had a rest day there and we took a nice boat tour out on the lake. It's funny, I remember Erie vividly for another reason I've told you about before.

    Erie was the city where I pulled up to a red light stopped, went to put my foot down and it got lodged in the pedal.

    Over I went, inches from a car tire (the car was running and stopped at the red light too). I remember thinking, "I hope they saw me fall!"

    Quite embarassing. Had a few cold ones that night (NOTE: Not that that separated Erie from any other town we entered!). But, with a day off pending, I probably got over-served by some friendly barkeep. Make sure there are no Wanted posters for some slug from Southie who beat the tab in 1990!

    Enjoy your day off. Travel safe. I love ya, D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pennsylvania does sound a lot closer to home!! Keep going, you are almost there. I'm still amazed everyday when I read your posts. You are awesome!

    X0X0
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Johnnie

    You never cease to amaze me! Stay Safe! Almost Home.

    XOXO

    Maureen C.

    ReplyDelete