Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today

Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today
Please be sure to write "John Hurley - Bike Trip" in the "How did you hear about us" section

Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 51 -- Brattleboro to Manchester (NH) -- 92 Miles

Lots of climbing again today -- over 6,000 feet -- that allowed us to once again test our legs. After 46 days of riding, my legs are certainly not fresh, but I am grateful that I was able to handle all of the ascents. Admittedly, some of the climbs were intense. One in particular seemed like we were pedaling up a wall -- an average of 16% grade (with a max of 24%) for over a mile.

In spite of the challenging terrain, it was yet another great day to be on the bike. We had beautiful weather all day and passed through some great, little New Hampshire towns (e.g. Keene, Francestown, Bennington). And, I am one day closer to being home. In fact, Manchester is actually closer to home than our final destination tomorrow (Portsmouth).

Soon enough, I'll be lounging on my couch, sleeping in my bed, and attempting to get back to the routine I had before taking on this cross country challenge. While I am excited for all of that, I have to say that this cycling experience has been truly amazing, and it will be hard to say goodbye to it all.

Since tomorrow is the official end of the tour (I, however, will extend my ride an extra day so that I can pedal to my front door so the blog go on for a little while longer), things get hectic after the ride -- people have to pack, box up their bikes, catch flights, etc. As a result, we will be having a farewell dinner tonight -- an opportunity to say goodbye, reminisce, and celebrate our journey together. I am really looking forward to it, especially since my wife will be driving up to Manchester so that she can partake in the festivities and meet the "other crazy cyclists" with whom I have spent the last two months of my life.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. “If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.”

    ~ Frank Clark ~

    You and your fellow cyclists encountered myriad obstacles, stood tall, and you now collectively stand on the precipice of proving my long held theory that success is nothing more than preparation meeting opportunity.

    As you enter your final two days, remember that other piece of advice I always dispensed (at times, to your chagrin): "Plan your work and work your plan!" (i.e., Don't be pedaling down Rte. 95 to Southie--and you better stop at 191 Old Colony Avenue)!

    Travel safe. I love you. D

    ReplyDelete