Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today

Please click the logo below and help me reach my fundraising goal today
Please be sure to write "John Hurley - Bike Trip" in the "How did you hear about us" section

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 50 -- Latham to Brattleboro (VT) -- 82 Miles

Greetings from New England! Although there were many things today that made me feel close to home -- the scenery, architecture, landscape, familiar stores to name a few -- arriving at a hotel that had NESN as one of its tv channels sealed the deal. Watching the Sox game and hearing the soothing sounds of Remy and Orsillo will be quite a treat.

We had another great ride today. There was some substantial climbing (about 5000 feet), so we had an opportunity to (re)test our "climbing legs." Thankfully, I felt strong throughout the ride, and I was able to conqure part of Green Mountain as well as Hogback Mountain. Our hard work on the climbs were rewarded with some quality descents. Similar to my descent at Monarch Pass, I topped out at slightly over 50m.p.h. -- quite a thrill.

Overall, it was a great day -- the weather was cooperative, the scenery was beautiful, and I officially made it to New England. I even took a quick detour to New Hampshire, so technically I was in 3 different states today -- not a bad day!

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. An athlete who tells you the training is always easy and always fun simply hasn't been there. Goals can be elusive which makes the difficult journey all the more rewarding.

    ~ Alberto Salazar ~

    Welcome to New England! Tonight, I met up for dinner with some of my bike mates from 20-years ago. We unanimously agreed that the years are fleeting and inevitably elusive as your life rolls on. Savor each moment as you approach your goal.

    P.S.: DELETE THIS from "About Me:"
    John Hurley
    I do not identify myself as a cyclist -- not yet at least...

    You ARE a supreme cyclist. You have a license and a legacy that can NEVER be taken away from you. Remember those who made this possible (Manny, etc,). Make sure you reach out to them and share your gratitude for their interest in your goals.

    Travel safe. See you Tuesday. Love ya, D

    ReplyDelete